Wednesday 17 December 2008

Translation of Baudelaire's L'Héautontimorouménos

(Having a goth moment the other night, I decided to translate one of my favourite poems of all time...)


Je te frapperais sans colère
Et sans haine, comme un boucher,
Comme Moïse le rocher !
Et je ferais de ta paupière,

Pour abreuver mon Saharah,
Jaillir les eaux de la souffrance .
Mon désir gonflé d'espérance
Sur tes peurs salés nagera

Comme un vaisseau qui prend le large,
Et dans mon coeur qu'ils soûleront
Tes chers sanglots retentiront
Comme un tambour qui bat la charge !

Ne suis-je pas un faux accord
Dans la divine symphonie,
Grâce à la vorace Ironie
Qui me secoue et qui me mord ?

Elle est dans ma voix, la criarde !
C'est tout mon sang, ce poison noir !
Je suis le sinistre mirroir
Où la mégère se regarde !

Je suis la plaie et le couteau !
Je suis le soufflet et la joue !
Je suis les membres et la roue,
Et la victime, et le bourreau !

Je suis de mon coeur le vampire,
- Un de ces grands abandonnés
Au rire éternel condamnés,
Et qui ne peuvent plus sourire !


I will strike you without anger
And without hate, like a butcher;
As Moses struck for water!
And to moisten my Sahara

I will bring showers from your eyes.
Buoyed up with hope, my swollen desire
Will raise itself out of the mire
And sail out under your blue skies

Like a moored ship when fair weather comes.
And in my heart, which they will shake,
Your sweet sobs will reverberate
Like the rhythm of a slave-ship's drums.

And am I not a misplaced note
In the divine symphony
Thanks to voracious irony
Forever sticking in my throat?

She's in my voice, the scheming whore.
My blood is poison, slick and black.
I'm her reflection looking back:
Her looking-glass, and nothing more.

I am the knife-wound and the blade,
The killer dancing in the air,
The priest who prays, the crowd that stare,
And the knot that the hangman made.

I am the breather of my sighs:
My heart's own vampire, caught in rhyme,
Condemned to laugh 'til the end of time
Without a smile in my eyes.

No comments: