Saturday 5 July 2008

Everything Else

You that could make my heart away
For noise and colour, and betray
The secrets of my tender hours... - Rochester, A Ramble in St James's Park


Wednesday morning
Creeps up on me
Wake up thinking
Late again

You're holding me still
But I know better
Time to go now
I'm ready for the rain.

Pictures on your wall
How happy you were
How beautiful
The days before

Makes me feel so
Incidental
Watch you sleeping
Tell myself I wanted nothing more

And you know that I would be there in an instant
If you needed me to
Run crazy Sundays
But it all comes back to where we started
Saints of the impossible
Give everything away too soon
'Cos I know she's your everything
And I'm just your everything else

Walked into your warzone
With eyes wide open
Saw it coming
No one else to blame

Break the silence
Work your magic
Broken words still
Trying to outrun the speed of pain

Let's stay up all night again
Watch the morning come.
Let's just run away again
From the places we've called home
But you'll still keep calling it home
I'll take that as goodbye.
I'll take that as goodbye.

And remember I was there to play for comfort
When you needed me to
Run wild, remind you
Of all the things you really wanted
This saint of the impossible
Will find some place to sleep tonight
'Cos I won't take her place again
To play your everything else

Back off slowly
In the afterglow
Admit defeat now
Time to go

Don't want to be your
Nothing special
When she's beside you
There's no room for anybody else...

No comments: